Monday, April 27, 2015

I'm Baaack

So I haven't posted in like a million years. My only excuse is that I've been working on my novel (I know right?) Yes, I'm that person at the coffee shop that you tell yourself isn't looking at you, but in reality I am because I'm trying to figure out how to describe what people do when they talk to each other. At least I'm not in a cafe in Los Angeles trying to work on a screenplay. Which brings me to today's topic: movies and television.

To put it mildly, I love movies. I grew up watching all sorts of movies, putting on plays to the great discomfort of my younger siblings and cousins, and even wanted to work in the industry. Until I did for a brief moment and realized it takes the magic out of everything. That, and I didn't want to live in LA. But being so exposed to the entertainment industry did get me thinking about the role epilepsy has, or rather, has not, played in film and television.

Recently, I was at the theatre (Ex Machina, so good) and saw previews for movies that ranked from mildly intriguing (Self/Less) to eye-rolling (another Poltergeist, really?). But, of course, none employed characters I could relate to on a medical level. Off the top of my head, I can name one movie where a main character has epilepsy and is "normal". That would be Garden State. Other than that, again off the top of my head, I think of horror movies where people are possessed by demons or otherwise foaming at the mouth. Yet, one in one-hundred people live with epilepsy. Is it that hard to throw a positive, even normal, example in there one in a while?

There is one TV show frequently presents seizures: House. I love the show, but if you watch it enough you realize that almost every patient has a grand mal seizure. Probably because it's dramatic. It wouldn't make for good TV if Cameron just said, in her annoyingly empathetic voice, "it looks like the patient just had an absence seizure that we couldn't see." My point is, even when seizures are represented, they tend to be misrepresented.

To compliment, or rather exacerbate, this issue, I have never once heard a celebrity talk about epilepsy. Not to say that some haven't, just that it isn't really front and center. This doesn't include John Travolta whose son sadly died of complications related to seizures. There was potential there to bring the disorder to light but I'm almost glad it wasn't because, again sadly, the medical opinions of Scientologists should not be taken seriously, but that's another story.

Anyway, with the prevalence of epilepsy, it saddens me that more people in positions of power (let's be honest, this means celebrities) don't speak out about the disorder more. I would love to see a (drought-friendly) version of the ice-bucket challenge. Or purple kitchen tools whose proceeds go to those with epilepsy that don't have the means to pay for the ridiculous cost of medication.

Seriously, what if a Kardashians had epilepsy? It would be the coolest thing. The younger sisters would be getting brain implants instead of butt implants. Their show would be probably called "The Movers and Shakers" (get it?).

Better yet, what if Kanye had epilepsy? It would be considered a gift from the Gods, just like him. Hey, at least people would talk about it right?

So to you, famous person reading my blog, do me a favor: talk about it.

Postscript: I did hear about a British movie called Electricity that I admit I haven't seen. Here's to hoping it gets it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment