Thursday, November 19, 2015

All That Flickers (plus a cool invention!)

I've been asked recently what exactly a "flickering" light is. I opened my mouth to respond and spit out a bunch of bullshit. Because I actually don't really know.
 
We've all heard of people having seizures at raves, or while playing video games, or while watching that one Pokemon episode, but what exactly differentiates a toggling light from a seizure-inducing flicker?

To tackle this, I had to do some research. Obviously a hands-on approach was out of the question, so I had to rely on my trusty friend Google.

The general consensus seems to be that flicker rates between 5-70 hz (flickers per second) are dangerous for photosensitive epileptics, with most symptoms occurring at rates between 15 and 70 hz. So what does this mean with relation to trigger-causing stimuli in the real world?


As I said, I did not do any hands-on research myself, but I can relay what has happened to me in the past. The things that have caused photo-sensitive-related seizures in the past include:
  • Lara Croft video game
  • Sunlight through palm trees while driving (I sound SO California right now)
  • Flashbulbs from a red carpet event (that was on TV, otherwise I could have given Jennifer Lawrence a run for her money))
  • Neon signs at night time in Las Vegas
  • Those random strobe lights that people hold at clubs and parties- there seriously needs to be a bar that bans these
Most video games have warnings on them about the potential for seizures in photosensitive epileptics. Of course, I didn't know that I had this disorder at the time I played Laura Croft so it did me no good. Nor do I know if there even was such warning on that box.

I have a hard time determining what the flicker rate was when I was driving. I suppose I could estimate my speed, and the distance between the trees and all that, but I'm far too lazy. The TV incident too is pretty hard to measure, as are lights in Las Vegas.

However, I have done some research into strobe lights. Most available strobe lights (wrist bands, batons, spot lights, etc) pulse at between 10 and 12 hz. While relatively low, this is absolutely within the "danger zone". The sensitivity increases if the strobes are used in the dark (usually), if there are multiple ones (causing a potentially higher overall flicker rate), if the person is tired, stressed, or taking substances.

So please friends, consider the flicker rate of your toys around us.

Things that haven't given me a seizure (probably due to medicinal increases) but annoy the heck out of me and sometimes provoke panic attacks (which can sometimes be equally debilitating) include:
  • Fire alarms (usually around 1hz)
  • Crappy projections 
  • Ambulances (usually around 5 hz)
  • Florescent bulbs that are about to die (their death follows soon after I encounter them)
  • Donald Trump
So, what does this tell us? What can we do?

I actually have an idea this time!

Make glasses (sort of like Google glasses) that detect frequency. The glasses would be tailored to the individual and their seizure threshold. If the glasses detect a frequency greater than the threshold, they go black, creating sunglasses for the wearer. Of course this might be inconvenient (to say the least) if you're walking or driving, but hey, I just thought of this right now. Remember how long we had to wait between the Nokia the iPhone?

Now I just need some investors...

No comments:

Post a Comment