Monday, August 18, 2014

The Green Stuff vs. the Other Green Stuff

"The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world." - Carl Sagan

My man Carl had it right. But he could have added: "also, it can help reduce seizures", although it kinda ruins the flow. The relationship between epilepsy and marijuana has been largely unaddressed, but I am delighted to see more news about the interactions everyday. (see recent article in the Union Tribune).  The bottom line seems to be this: marijuana use, or administration of synthetic THC compounds, has been shown to decrease prevalence of seizures in people, largely children, with frequent episodes. Of course, there are those who have experienced an increase in seizures, and those who see no change at all. Unfortunately, these stories have been propagated as well. I say unfortunately not because I think think this fact shouldn't be available, but because of where I fear the negativity is stemming from.

The fact is this: marijuana is not marketable. It does not create a multi-billion dollar industry (unless you count the profit private prisons make from housing those who sell the drug). I cannot legally access a strain that I can be sure will deliver the same results every time. I cannot go to my neurologist and request marijuana. Why? Because doctors do not have multi-billion dollar marijuana companies shoving free samples of it down their throats. Because if I buy marijuana, it means not spending thousands of dollars (after insurance) on these other company's product. It really is a battle between green and green.

Marijuana can be harmful (although I would like to see how harmful it would be if legal, regulated, and taxed. Probably a lot less). And, different strains can have contradictory affects. It can make you feel relaxed. Or, it can make you think you understand the lyrics to I Am the Walrus and seriously consider what type of bread you would be if everyone was a baked good. To my point, marijuana can be as diverse as epilepsy itself. Which is why, I feel, that marijuana and epilepsy don't get the research they deserve. This is not a statement against those who do study both or either and devote their time to helping people like me.

The method for some epileptics, like myself, has been one of trial and error. And if it works? Good, pay for it, take it, you're done. Fortunately, I have found a medication that works so far. There is really no other tests that could be done to explain why I have seizures. So my question is this: if marijuana works, why not use it? If I am legally subjugated to medications that alter my mood, change my physical appearance, put pressure on my internal organs, can potentially harm a fetus, and prevent me from breast-feeding, why am I not allowed or encouraged to try something that has considerably less side effects? Because there haven't been enough trials? It's more likely that there hasn't been enough people enticed to perform trials. It's not like marijuana is a new discovery and rare commodity. It's been around for a looong time and made illegal for largely political purposes. After all, if it works better than the brand name drugs, who's stopping us from growing it in our backyards and saying "see ya" to Big Pharma?

People that are less fortunate than I resort to taking generic form of drugs because of cost, even if the drugs do not work as well as their brand-name versions. Marijuana would be a substantially cheaper option if proven a viable one. Unfortunately, most people rarely have the legal, if logistical, capability to receive marijuana treatment. It has so far been used as a last resort in most cases. This may all seem a little dramatic and over-the-top, but for some of us, it is the reality. And not just people with epilepsy; people with cancer, anxiety, constant pain, etc. We have all be subjects of both our disabilities and pharmaceutical companies. I do, of course, realize the benefit of many man-made medications and I am in no way arguing that everyone should attempt some of that homeopathic, pseuodscientific nonsense out there. But we, as a nation, are being irresponsible if we do not acknowledge the benefits of marijuana.


Legalize, tax it, exploit it. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment