Monday, September 8, 2014

"2012": The most forgettable movie of all time

A couple of years ago a movie called 2012 was released. Apparently it tells the epic adventure of our planet's inevitable demise in the year 2012. I wouldn't know, though, I didn't see it. And yet, I did see it.

Let me explain.

The year was 2009 (I looked it up) and I was in San Luis Obispo where I went to school. I had a seizure for some reason or another. I'm not sure which episode it was, but no big deal, life goes on. A couple months after this seizure, I mentioned the movie 2012 to my brother, commenting on the fact that although it looked ridiculous, I would like to see it. He laughed. I agreed, I was probably having a mini-episode just thinking about wasting my time on something like that. But, that's not why he was laughing. He thought I was joking. Why? Well, it turns out that the day after that 2009 seizure, my brother and I had gone to the theatre and seen 2012

That's right. I saw the movie, then completely forgot I saw it. And not in the "have I seen this episode?" way, but in the "there is no way I've seen that movie" way. I don't even remember going to a movie theatre around that time. Now, this presents a bit of a problem. Considering the mediocrity of the movie, is it possible that my unconscious mind, already fed up with the sheer about of information that college classes thrust upon it, decided that the entire movie experience was just not worth remembering? Perhaps. That scenario would actually be less terrifying than what I experienced: losing time. 

I've tried many times to explain what losing time feels like. The closest thing I can compare it to is being black-out drunk. Except, you don't remember drinking, being drunk, passing out, or being hungover. You simply wake up the next morning, fine as can be, and go on with your life until someone tells you you saw a movie you swore you never did. This had happened before the 2012 incident as well. I've probably explained before how I don't really remember things that happen immediately before and right after having a seizure. For example, after having a seizure, I could forget where I was coming from or going to for about an hour. Normal. But, I've also found, in some cases, that I somehow have the inability to make memories for about a day after. Sometimes, a week after, or a month after, I would have absolutely no knowledge about the days surrounding the incident. It's as if some electrified bubble encompasses that area of time, like the seizure somehow rippled away from it's focal point on the timeline and jumbled up everything around it. 

It's the most frustrating thing in the world to lose time. Especially when people you love are the ones that tell you about it. It's embarrassing, infuriating, and scary. I can't think of anything worse than losing your mind. Even this tiny brush I have had with it scares me to death. Luckily, this hasn't happened since my last seizure, so I'm certain it relates completely to isolated episodes. Also, I'm sure everyone reading this has had a moment when they totally didn't remember what they did (even sober). Luckily for me, I only missed a crappy movie.

Or so I think.

I've also been told I went to the Getty Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment